Friday, April 28, 2006

GutterBall

That is George's new nickname. Everyone start calling him that and be sure and tell I said to. I sure have been busy. First my wild Temple adventure with Elliot, then I went bowling with George. I guess the guys are trying to keep me occupied so I won't start getting all depressed. Whatever the reason, I have been enjoying myself. I feel kind of bad though because Mike is still in the funk and I have had trouble pinning him down to go eat. He's ducking my calls or his machine is on the fritz yet again.
Anyway, to the bowling. I don't know why none of them like to go, I mean it is fun. It relieves stress, you work up a sweat, and with proper ball usage you're not sore the next day. What's not to like about that? I don't know why he was so worried that I would hit him with a ball. I mean that only happened once, a long time ago. It was an accident and it's not like the guy never walked again. I promised I wouldn't mention the score because well, you know, I beat him. If he tells you different, he's lying. ;) Before we went, I made sure he knew where to meet me, and I gave him the same speech I had Elliot, about NOT bringing up the "M" word. He listened on the meeting part, but not so much on the other. George is a shrink, so he thought he would bring up the topic subtly: Carolyn, I think we need to talk about some things.
"Unless you're talking about how to keep your ball in our lane, then forget about it." He was quiet about it for a little while. A little later on though: Someone in the office asked about you. He wanted to know how you were. "Oh really? Well tell Elliot I'm fine and thanks for asking." No, I meant, uh I just gave him my 'no crap I know what you meant' look. He finally got the hint and didn't bring up the subject again.
Twenty frames, a couple of strikes, several spares, and a few balls in the neighbor's lane later, we decided to call it a night. As we parted ways, I thanked him for the fun evening and for not trying to shrink my head the whole night. He agreed it was fun and said when I am ready to talk then don't hesitate to call. I was heading to my car and I heard him say I've never seen him so torn up before. He is miserable about what happened.
That sent a sharp pain through my heart, but I kept walking, pretending I didn't hear.

4 comments:

NemesisNicole said...

My God, I at first thought you said "Butterball"!

And WTF happened to Eames?

Carolyn Barek said...

George-I did have a good evening. I had a lot of fun. Thanks!!

Nicole-Butterball? You in the mood for a turkey or something? Hahaha. I have no idea what happened to Eames. I think she is just really busy.

Mike said...

Um, I suck?
Thereya go...
Look, I gave you the new contact info.

Mike said...

And let me say in defense of the person in question...sometimes, things happen. Worse, sometimes, even though you probably should be, you're not sorry.