Sunday, December 03, 2006

Strange days

I met Elliot for an early lunch today. We haven't got to hang out in a while. I missed him and I really needed to talk to him. We arrived at the same time and hugged hello. We engaged in small talk for a few minutes. Something appeared to be bothering him. "Everything okay Elliot?" Huh? Yeah, fine why? "You don't seem like yourself. JP said he noticed the same thing yesterday." Oh, is that why you wanted to have lunch? Because Danny Boy told you I had a problem? "Uh, no. If you'll recall, I asked you to lunch before you went out with JP. By the way, thanks for not sending him back drunk and Irish again." He laughed at that. I asked how Liv and the kids were. He assured me everything with them was fine. "So nothing is wrong then?" He hesitated briefly then told me everything was great. "I don't believe you but I'm not here to argue with you. I really need to talk you about a few things." I'm listening.
"I think I am in love." He tensed up when I said that. What was that all about?
Oh yeah? Anyone I know? I laughed, "Yes, I think you've met. I think I love JP and I'm scared Elliot." Why? "I haven't had the greatest luck with men. You of all people should know that." Did you tell him? "No. I can't. I'm an old-fashioned girl, I think the guy should say it first." And he hasn't? "No he hasn't." Interesting. I wonder what he meant by that. "I can't tell him, I don't know if he feels the same, and what if he thinks I'm moving too fast?" Calm down Caro. It'll be okay. You are a wonderful person and if he can't see that then you don't need him anyway. I really wanted to believe him but I didn't. "Thanks." Yeah sure, that's what I'm here for. "What is wrong with you?" NOTHING. I need a drink, you want one? "I haven't finished the one I have and I don't think you need another one."
He started to argue but then he didn't. I wouldn't worry about Danny Boy, you two seem very happy together. Then he mumbled something about JP taking me away. I didn't understand exactly what he said and he wouldn't repeat it. At that moment I realized what was bothering him. I reached over, put my hand on his and said "Elliot, I know what you're thinking and you are wrong." He pulled his hand away and gave me a confused look. "Don't look at me like that. You know what I'm talking about. I'm not going anywhere." What? "It doesn't matter who I'm dating or not dating. You are my best friend and I will always be here for you. We have been through so much together how could you possibly think that?" He didn't have a response, he just sat there playing with his food. We sat quietly for a few minutes until his phone rang. Judging by his end of the conversation it was work. I have to go, I'll talk to you later. It was the first time he didn't hug me or make any kind of touching gesture as he left. "Okay, be careful."
It was one of the strangest encounters I've had with him.

2 comments:

Maria said...

If there's one thing I've learned that is that even if things don't turn out how we wanted them to, they're probably the right way. Not everything we want is what we need. But sometimes those two coincide so just one more thing: Everything's gonna be alright! >:D<

Carolyn Barek said...

Maria-Thank you! Thanks for dropping by too!