Saturday, August 05, 2006

Because stuff happens

Logan came over. I knew he would, like me he's not one to pass up a free home-cooked meal.
After the meal I served ice cream and Irish Coffee. Great combo don't you think?
"Mike, uh, I kind of need to tell you something."
He could tell I was struggling to get the words out. You're not pregnant are you?
"Aren't you cute? No, I'm not."
Just thought I'd check.
As unrealistic as that question was, it eased the tension and I was able to continue. Or was it that I was on my third Irish Coffee, light on the coffee? (Elliot's recipe of course) Whatever the reason I told him about my decision, one of the most difficult ones I have ever made. I struggled for quite a while before making up my mind. Logan being Logan, I can never really get a good read on him. I'm not sure if he was upset, relieved, confused or what.
"I wanted to make sure you heard it from me and not through the grapevine because I know what some people will probably think. I need you to know it has nothing to do with you. You are a great partner, detective and friend."
We talked for another few minutes. Thanks for the food and for letting me know. I'm meeting someone soon so I need to go.
"Getting some late-night lab work done?"
He gave me that smirk and left.
It went better than I thought it would. Next on the agenda is to let Elliot know. Maybe it isn't too late to call him.
Rats, got his voice-mail. "Hey, it's Barek. I need to talk to you when you have a chance. Thanks."
I won't be sleeping anytime soon so maybe he'll call back.

No comments: